Image for illustrative purposes
Missile attacks from Yemen’s Houthis have killed more than 110 Saudi citizens and residents since the kingdom entered Yemen’s civil war, the Saudi coalition said on Sunday.
In a statement issued following the latest missile interception by Saudi air defences, the coalition said the number of ballistic missiles fired towards the kingdom was nearly 200.
“The total number of ballistic missiles fired by the Iranian-backed Houthi militia towards the Kingdom so far has reached 197, causing the deaths of 112 civilians and residents, and injuring hundreds,” the statement read.
Only a few deaths had been confirmed by authorities previously, including one civilian killed in Jazan last month and three civilians killed in Jazan on June 9.
A spokesperson for the Saudi coalition in Yemen, colonel Turki Al-Maliki, said the latest attack was launched from Saada province at 4:49pm.
He said it was intercepted and there were no reports of injuries despite the missile being deliberately targeted at civilian areas.
Last Thursday, a Saudi citizen was injured by a rocket attack on the outskirts of Najran.
A total of 26 people, including children, were also injured by a shrapnel from a missile the previous week.
The kingdom first entered the Yemen civil war in 2015 as part of a coalition to support ousted President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi against the Houthis.
Saudi Arabia and the United Stated have accused Iran for providing the Houthis with missile components, although Tehran has denied any role in the matter.