Photo used for illustrative purposes only
Saudi Arabia’s air defence forces intercepted four ballistic missiles yesterday launch by Houthi rebels in Yemen, according to Saudi Press Agency.
The missiles were launched “towards the cities of Khamis Mushait and Abha at 6:40am on Tuesday and they were intercepted and destroyed without causing any damage”, the state news agency said.
Air forces from the Saudi coalition in Yemen responded by targeting the launching sites.
Saudi forces have intercepted dozens of missiles since the coalition entered conflict in 2015.
One launch earlier this month targeted the Saudi city of Jizan and another was claimed to have killed 22 worshipers and wounded dozens more at a mosque in Yemen’s Marib Province, according to SPA.
The Coalition Command was quoted as saying the launches were evidence of the continuing smuggling of weapons to Yemen, “especially from the port of Hodeidah.”
Last week the coalition called for the United Nations to place the port under its supervision following an incident in which 42 Somalis were killed on a refugee boat. The coalition denied responsibility for the attack.
The UN later refusedthe request and said yesterday it was considering using other ports to deliver aid to the country due to damage as a result of military activity.
Yemen army forces, local militias and the US-backed coalition began an offensive on the Red Sea coast in January to deprive the Houthi alliance and forces loyal to former president president Ali Abdullah Saleh access to the port.
At least 10,000 people have been killed in fighting in the country, according to reports.