The Saudi-led coalition in Yemen intercepted and shot down a Houthi drone fired towards the kingdom on Sunday evening, the Saudi Press Agency (SPA) reported.
The spokesperson for the Saudi-led coalition fighting in Yemen Colonel Turki Al-Maliki said the drone was fired from Houthi-controlled Sana’a in Yemen.
He said all the attempts by the Houthis to launch drones towards Saudi are “doomed to fail” and that the coalition carries out the operational procedures required to deal with the aircraft to protect civilians.
Al-Maliki stressed that the Houthi attempts to target airports and civilians were in clear “violation of international humanitarian law”.
Saudi Arabia has been targeted by hundreds of missile attacks since entering the Yemen civil war in 2015 to support ousted President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi against the Houthis.
Last week, Saudi forces intercepted drones heading towards “civilian airports” in the kingdom.
Two unmanned drones launched by the Houthis towards Khamis Mushait city were also intercepted and shot down by Saudi forces last month.
The process of intercepting and shooting down the hostile aircraft caused the fall of shrapnel and debris, in a residential neighbourhood, resulting in minor damages of a residential building and some vehicles.
No casualties were reported.
An attack on the Abha airport in June killed one person and wounded several others.