UAE reports new cases of coronavirus, UAE Tour cancelled after two technical staff test positive

Two more coronavirus patients in the UAE have fully recovered, the health ministry confirmed



The Abu Dhabi Sports Council has cancelled the remaining rounds of the 2020 UAE Tour after two Italians, who were technical members of the cycling teams, tested positive for the coronavirus Covid-19, official news agency WAM reported late on Thursday.

The UAE’s ministry of Health and Prevention said that all the participants, administrative staff and organisers will be screened, and that all the needed procedures, including quarantine measures, will be taken to curb the spread of its outbreak.

“The decision has been taken to ensure protection of all the race’s participants,” said the council, adding that “safety comes at the top of all priorities.”

Two Abu Dhabi hotels have also been placed under lockdown, officials said.

“The Department of Health – Abu Dhabi has taken immediate quarantine measures for the two Yas Island hotels. It has also house-quarantined others who may have come into contact with the diagnosed cases. Rigorous procedures and check-ups are being conducted, with close medical monitoring for 14 days,” Abu Dhabi Government Media Office said.

Meanwhile the UAE also confirmed six new cases of the coronavirus on Thursday, while two patients have fully recovered from the infection.
The new announcement took the total number of reported cases in the country to 19, including five who have recovered.

The six new cases, who were detected after being screened through the ministry’s ongoing early reporting system, are of different nationalities, including four Iranians, one Chinese and one Bahraini, all of whom had come to the UAE from Iran ahead of the travel ban enforced recently, the ministry said in a statement.

The two who have recovered are 36-year-old and 37-year-old Chinese citizens who received treatment in UAE hospitals.

A total of 28 people, who were in close contact with the previously confirmed cases, have been screened and all preemptive measures are being taken to prevent the spread of the virus outbreak through an epidemiological monitoring mechanism, the statement added.

“All the necessary precautions to ensure highly efficient preventive measures are being taken, including check-ups and observation of people in contact with patients. It’s all done as per the guidelines and standards of the World Health Organisation.”

The ministry advised the public to adopt protective health behaviour including washing hands with soap and clean water and covering the mouth when coughing or sneezing to stop the spread of germs and viruses.