Joint efforts are required to “de-escalate the situation” in the region following the recent tanker attacks, a senior UAE official has said.
Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan, the UAE’s minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, urged for allies from the region and across the world to confront the threats through peaceful means.
“We presented our evidence to the UN Security Council. We have done that in a very technical manner; we have done it in a manner which is responsible, open, and transparent and we invited many of our friends, allies and partners to look at it,” official news agency WAM quoted him as saying during a trip to Cyprus.
“The conclusion is this has only been possible by state sponsored attacks. We hope that we can further work with our friends and partners in preventing such escalation from moving forward.”
He added: “Our region is the main energy supplier to the world – our safety and security is key to ensuring prosperity and stability for all.”
The US has accused Iran for carrying out the explosions that damaged two tankers in the Gulf of Oman on Thursday, and has also blamed Tehran for the attacks on the off the UAE coast on May 12.
Tehran denies any involvement in the incidents, which come as tensions mount over stringent sanctions the US imposed on Iran after pulling out of the 2015 nuclear deal last year
“Iran did do it and you know they did it because you saw the boat,” U.S. President Donald Trump told Fox News on Friday.
Iran has denied any role in the attacks.