Psy performs "Gangnam Style" at the 40th American Music Awards in Los Angeles. (Reuters)
With the year drawing to a close, Google has once again released its annual zeitgeist report, highlighting the most searched terms around the world in 2012.
Globally, US singer Whitney Houston who tragically died in February 2012, was the top ‘trending’ search of the year. Korean rap singer Psy’s ‘Gangnam Style’ music video, which is close to reaching one billion hits this year on YouTube, came second on the list. It was followed by Hurricane Sandy, the superstorm that hit the US and Carribean coast earlier this year.
The top ‘trending searches’ were the terms that saw the highest amount of traffic over a sustained period in 2012, said Google.
Psy’s Gangnam Style, which now holds the record for the most watched and most ‘liked” video on YouTube, was the most searched term in the UAE, followed by Apple’s iPad 3.
The UAE’s top trending search terms in 2012
1. Gangnam Style
2. iPad 3
3. Olympics 2012
4. Samsung Galaxy S3
5. The Avengers
7. Hurricane Sandy
8. مسلسلات رمضان ٢٠١٢ (Ramadan Series 2012)
9. KONY 2012
10. الثورة السورية (Syrian Revolution)
The UAE’s top trending people in 2012
1. Whitney Houston
2. شما حمدان (Shamma Hamdan- the first Emirati woman to reach the finals of Arabs Got Talent)
3. Kate Middelton
4. يوسف القرضاوي (Al Qaradawi- Islamic scholar)
5. فيليكس بومجارتنر (Felix Baumgartner)
6. Usain Bolt
7. Karina Kapoor
8. محمد مرسي (Mohammed Mursi)
10. إبراهيم الفقي (Ibrahim al-Fiqi)