Image for illustrative purposes
Saudi air defence forces intercepted two drones launched by the Houthis, including one aimed at a residential area in Abha, the official Saudi Press Agency (SPA) reported on Tuesday.
The spokesperson of the Saudi-led coalition Turki Al Maliki said the air force first intercepted a drone at 10.37pm on Monday night, which was carrying explosives and targeting a residential area in Abha.
At 11.45pm, the coalition air forces intercepted and shot down a second drone loaded with explosives launched by the Houthis towards the kingdom, the SPA report said.
Al-Maliki again stressed that the Houthis were targetting “civilian installations and civilian objects”.
“We affirm our legitimate right to defend our country, and we also confirm that we will continue to neutralise hostile Houthi capabilities,” he said.
Saudi Arabia has been targeted by hundreds of missile attacks since entering the Yemen civil war in 2015 to support ousted President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi against the Houthis.
The Houthis have stepped up attacks against the kingdom in recent times.
While Saudi forces intercepted a drone targeting Abha on Saturday, a missile attack targeting the Abha airport on Wednesday left 26 people injured.
The coalition also said last week that it intercepted five drones that targeted Abha airport and Khamis Mushait.
In response, the coalition said it had destroyed Houthi military assets on the outskirts of capital Sanaa – which is held by the Houthis.