Image for illustrative purposes
Saudi air defences intercepted and destroyed a ballistic missile fired from Yemen towards the city of Najran on Monday evening.
The missile, fired by the Houthis, was detected by the Royal Saudi Air Defence at 8.20pm, the official Saudi Press Agency (SPA) reported.
Colonel Turki Al-Malki, the official spokesman of the Saudi-led coalition, said that the missile was launched “deliberately to target densely populated areas”.
No injuries were reported.
“This hostile action by terrorist Al-Houthi militias proves the continuing involvement of the Iranian regime in supporting Al-Houthi armed militias with qualitative capabilities in a clear and explicit defiance for the violation of United Nations resolutions (2216 and 2231),” said Al Malki.
He added that the firing of ballistic missiles at populated cities and villages is contrary to both international law and international humanitarian law.
Last week, it was reported that a United Nations panel of experts confirmed that Yemen’s Houthi rebels are still being armed with ballistic missiles and drones that “show characteristics similar” to those made by Iran.
AFP cited a confidential report to the UN Security Council as confirming the panel “continues to believe” ballistic missiles and other weapons are being transferred from Iran to Yemen despite a 2015 arms embargo.
Iran has denied any role in arming the Houthis despite claims to the contrary from the United States and Saudi Arabia, which continues to blame Iran for each missile attack it intercepts.
The kingdom has recorded more than 158 missiles and 42,924 projectiles launched at its territory since entering the Yemen civil war in 2015 through an Arab coalition backing forces loyal to ousted President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi against the Houthis.
While the majority of the attacks have been intercepted by air defences, some attacks have also resulted in deaths, including three civilians killed in Jazan on June 9.