Saudi forces destroy two Houthi drones, shrapnel damages vehicles, building

The drones targeted civilians and civilian targets in Khamis Mushait city



Saudi forces intercepted and shot down two unmanned drones launched by the Houthis from Sana’a on Monday evening, the Saudi Press Agency (SPA) reported.

The drones targeted civilians and civilian targets in Khamis Mushait city, said Colonel Turki Al-Malki, the official spokesman of Saudi-led coalition fighting in Yemen.

Al-Malki said that the process of intercepting and shooting down the hostile aircraft caused the fall of shrapnel and debris, in a residential neighbourhood, resulting in minor damages of a residential building and some vehicles.

No casualties were reported.

He stressed that Houthi attempts to “deliberately target civilians” were a clear and explicit violation of international humanitarian law.

“The desperate and continuous attempts by the Houthi militia to target civilians and civilian assets will be constantly confronted by foiling them and neutralising their hostile capabilities in accordance with international humanitarian law and its customary rules,” Al Maliki reiterated.

Saudi Arabia has been targeted by hundreds of missile attacks since entering the Yemen civil war in 2015 to support ousted President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi against the Houthis.

An attack on the Abha airport last month killed one person and wounded several others.

Read: One dead, 21 wounded in Houthi attack on Saudi airport