Airlines in Saudi Arabia have among the lowest on-time rates in the region, according to new data.
Statistics from aviation data company OAG show that Saudi Arabian Airlines – also known as Saudia – and low-cost carrier flynas had among the lowest percentage of flights departing and arriving on time of any airlines in the region in July.
The statistics reveal just 55.8 per cent of Saudia flights were punctual in July, with punctuality defined as take-off within 15 minutes of scheduled departure time.
About 57.9 per cent of flynas flights were on-time in July.
However, the Saudi airlines were not the least punctual in the MENA region. That title went to Syria’s Cham Wings Airlines. Just 23.5 per cent of flights were on schedule.
The second least-punctual in the MENA region in July was Tunisia’s TunisAir Express. It had an on-time rate of 34.2 per cent – nearly 10 per cent worse than parent company Tunisair’s 44.1 per cent.
Looking at July alone, Kuwait Airways topped the list in the MENA region for being the most punctual airline. Nearly 90 per cent of its flights (88.8 per cent) were on schedule.
Globally, the most punctual airline last month was Garuda Indonesia, with 93.9 per cent of flights on-time.
Least punctual airlines in MENA region for July 2019
1. Cham Wings Airlines (Syria) 23.5% of flights on-time
2. TunisAir Express (Tunisia) 34.2%
3. Tunisair (Tunisia) 44.1%
4. Tassili Airlines (Algeria) 49.7%
5. Jazeera Airways (Kuwait) 53.8%
6. Saudi Arabian Airlines (Saudi Arabia) 55.8%
7. Nouvelair (Tunisia) 57.9%
8. flynas (Saudi Arabia) 57.9%
9. Jordan Aviation (Jordan) 59.8%
10. Egyptair (Egypt) 63.3%
Top 5 most punctual airlines in MENA region for July 2019
1. Kuwait Airways (88.8% of flights on-time)
2. Air Cairo (84.9%)
3. Flydubai (83.0%)
4. Etihad Airways (82.7%)
5. Air Arabia (81.2%)
Top 5 most punctual airlines globally for July 2019
1. Garuda Indonesia (93.9% of flights on-time)
2. LATAM Airlines Ecuador (92.0%)
3. AirDo (90.2%)
4. Jetstar Asia (90.0%)
5. Copa Airlines (90.0%)