Maintenance underway at Jebel Jais zipline, which closed after helicopter accident

Operators say the facility will be reopened once an assessment and maintenance work is completed



Work is still underway at the world’s longest zipline in Ras Al Khaimah, which closed after a rescue helicopter struck the cable and crashed, killing all the people onboard last month.

Operators of the zipline in Jebel Jais confirmed that an assessment is underway and that the facility will be reopened once maintenance work is completed.

“We regret that due to a serious incident which occurred on the mountain, the zipline facility has been temporarily closed,” Toroverde said in a statement.

“We are currently running a full assessment of the zipline area, to ensure the safety of our visitors, and will re-open as soon as the necessary maintenance has been completed,” it said.

The company also stated that those with bookings can reschedule or receive a refund.

“The safety and security of our customers is our utmost priority,” it added.

The tragic accident occurred on December 29, when the Agusta 139 rescue helicopter crashed into the mountainside at around 5.50pm after hitting the zipline.

The helicopter was on a mission to airlift an injured man, but crashed before reaching the man.

All the four people on board including the two pilots, the navigator and a first aid medic died in the accident.

Eyewitness footage showed the helicopter diving into a tailspin before crashing into the mountain and bursting into flames.