Kuwait suspends entry of foreigners for two weeks, imposes restrictions on malls, shops
Now Reading
Kuwait suspends entry of foreigners for two weeks, imposes restrictions on malls, shops

Kuwait suspends entry of foreigners for two weeks, imposes restrictions on malls, shops

Officials have also banned all types of gatherings, including for national holiday celebrations later this month

Kuwait has imposed a two-week ban on the entry of foreigners into the country from Sunday, February 7, as part of measures to curb the spread of Covid-19, the country’s Cabinet announced on Wednesday.

Only close relatives of Kuwaiti citizens and domestic workers are exempt from the decision.

The Cabinet also announced other restrictions in the country. Commercial shops and restaurants – including malls – will have to stay closed from 8pm to 5am, although delivery services can continue. Pharmacies and food stores are exempt from the ban.

Meanwhile health clubs, salons, barbershops, celebration halls and tents have been ordered to close. Officials have also banned all types of gatherings, including for national holiday celebrations later this month. All sports events have also been suspended.

The restrictions will be in place for one month starting February 7, and can be renewed if the situation does not improve, government spokesman Tareq Al-Mazrem said.

Kuwait has also re-introduced institutional quarantine for a week for all those returning from abroad. Travellers will need to pay for the quarantine facilities – which will be at local hotels – and will also be required to undergo another seven days of home quarantine.

The Civil Aviation department has also indefinitely extended regulations that limit the number of passengers per flight to 35, after the measure was due to end on February 6.

The new measures have been imposed due to a spike in the number of Covid-19 cases in Kuwait in recent weeks.

Mazrem also warned that if people do not comply with the precautionary measures such as wearing facemasks and observing social distancing, the government will consider “additional” measures.

He also said authorities will take legal measures against those who present “fake PCR- negative test certificates” on arrival.

Kuwait announced 756 new Covid-19 cases on Wednesday, taking the total number of infections reported in the country to 167,410.

The death toll stands at 961, while 6,906 remain under treatment, with 65 in a critical condition.

Kuwait’s new measures come after Saudi Arabia also announced a travel ban earlier this week from 20 countries including the UAE, UK and India.

Read: Covid-19: Saudi Arabia bans entry from 20 countries including UAE, UK and India

Meanwhile Dubai has also tightened its coronavirus precautionary measures, with capacity reduced at malls and limits imposed on gatherings.

Read: Dubai announces new Covid-19 restrictions: Mall capacity reduced, bars closed

You might also like

© 2021 MOTIVATE MEDIA GROUP. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Scroll To Top