The Dubai Mall is planning to give away three apartments and thousands in cash prizes as part of its 10-year celebrations that are scheduled to be held next month, developer Emaar Malls has confirmed.
A month-long extravaganza is planned at the mall from November 4-28. That will include luxury fashion showcases, a light and sound show, and other entertainment and discount offers.
The mall opened in November 2008, with the grand inauguration held in May 2009.
It has welcomed 80 million visitors per year since 2014, and expects footfall this year to reach roughly 85 million, Emaar Malls CEO Patrick Bousquet-Chavanne said.
Currently up to 97 per cent of the visitors to Dubai visit Dubai Mall, according to Dubai Tourism.
Mohamed Alabbar, chairman of Emaar Properties said: “The economic impact of The Dubai Mall to the UAE’s economy has been wide-ranging. Transforming not just the retail sector but also creating new referral points in leisure, entertainment and hospitality, the mall has also played a defining role in positioning Dubai as a global fashion capital.”
The mall recently expanded its Fashion Avenue, adding 150 luxury brands including Middle East flagships and first-time concepts. Future expansion plans include the Zabeel extension and the Fountain Views retail offer, which will add 5,000 additional parking spots.
Dubai Mall is also launching a new app that will assist visitors in parking and provide details and deals from retailers.
The mall has also recently launched Reel Cinemas platinum suites, Dolby cinema, MX4D theatre and Guy Fieri’s dine-in cinema and kitchen restaurant concepts.
Bousquet-Chavanne said: “We continue to have big plans ahead and are seeking to ensure that the mall remains relevant for the remaining years to come.”
The Dubai Mall’s 10-year celebrations
* A 10-minute sound and light show ‘Talisman’, which will be presented by Lune Rouge, an entertainment company created by Cirque du Soleil founder Guy Laliberté. It will showcase video, lighting, lasers and special effects and will play every night at the Star Atrium.
* Shoppers will have a chance to win three apartments at Emaar’s Dubai Hills Estate development as well as daily prizes of Dhs10,000 in Emaar gift cards. The company will also add 10 per cent to any gift cards purchased during the month.
* A special projection on the Burj Khalifa on November 14.
* More than 40 fashion brands will hold events and activations during the celebrations. From November 15-24, the mall will also hold an event focussing on the world’s fashion capitals in partnership with Vogue Arabia.
* The Dubai Mall will put up an installation with the 10-year celebration logo, inviting visitors share an image along with a wish on social media. Some of the wishes will be fulfilled.
* Retailers will have special offers, exclusive products, events and in-store activations.
* Special celebrations will be held for Diwali and UAE Flag Day.
* A photography exhibition titled ‘People on the Move’ will held in partnership with United Nations and Hamdan Bin Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum International Photography Awards.