Oman extends six-month bans on recruiting foreign workers

The extensions are separate to a ban on hiring foreign workers in 78 professions announced in January



Oman has decided to extend three separate six-month bans on hiring foreign workers in some professions, according to local reports.

The Ministry of Manpower said on Sunday it would extend the suspension for carpentry, metal, aluminium workshops and brick factories for six months from July 1. The ban came into force on January 1.

In addition, companies will be unable to recruit foreign “salesmen and purchase representatives” for six months from May 31, extending a six-month ban that began on November 30.

A third ban on recruiting non-Omanis in the construction and cleaning sectors has also been extended for six months from June 1, after coming into force on December 1.

The ministry said the decisions are separate from a six-month ban on recruiting foreigners in 78 professions that was announced on January 24.

Read: Oman bans hiring of foreigners in 10 sectors

That ban applies to private sector companies in the “information systems, sales, marketing and management sectors, human resources, insurance, information, medical professions, airports, engineering and technical professions”.

The ministry said it would provide an update regarding this ban when the period is completed.

The temporary suspension in all cases does not include replacement of existing employees.

Earlier this month, the Ministry of Manpower warned that companies face losing work permits for their foreign staff if they fail to meet Omanisation targets.

This came after the ministry penalised 161 companies for not employing a single Omani worker.

Read: Oman to revoke expat work permits if companies don’t hire Omanis