Saudi air defences intercept missile fired towards Najran

Last month, a missile damaged a mosque and the home of a Saudi citizen in Asir region



Image for illustrative purposes

Saudi air defences intercepted a missile fired from Yemen on Wednesday night, Saudi Press Agency reported.

The launch by Yemen’s Houthis was detected at 10:51pm local time from Saada governorate.

A spokesperson for Saudi Arabia’s coalition in Yemen said air defences intercepted and destroyed the missile, which targeted populated areas in the city of Najran.

No injuries were reported.

Colonel Turki Al-Maliki repeated previous statements blaming Iran for providing the Houthis with missile parts.

The latest attack brought the number of ballistic missiles fired towards the kingdom to 204. Saudi officials say 112 citizens and residents have been killed in the attacks and hundreds more wounded.

Last month, a missile damaged a mosque and the home of a Saudi citizen in Asir region.

Read: Missile from Yemen damages mosque, house in Saudi’s Asir

The kingdom first entered the Yemen civil war in 2015 as part of a coalition to support ousted President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi against the Houthis.

Saudi Arabia and the United Stated have accused Iran of providing the Houthis with missile components, although Tehran has denied any role in the matter.

Also read: UN panel says missiles launched at Saudi show Iranian characteristics