Home GCC Qatar


Qtel Buys Further $360m Stake In Tunisian Telco

Qatar telecom, along with its Kuwaiti arm Wataniya, now owns a 90 per cent stake in Tunisiana.

Qatar Airways Rebuts LDI Denials

German Emirati joint venture company Lindner Depa Interiors (LDI) denied delaying the opening of the New Doha International Airport.

Qatari Growth Slows As Energy Sector Sluggish

The Gulf state’s real GDP rose 3.9 per cent in the third quarter of the year, according to official data.

Qatar Airways Sues German Emirati JV For $600m

Airline claims Lindner Depa Interiors was to build 19 airport lounges at New Doha International Airport by the summer “but failed to complete the project on time”

Qatar Increases 2013 GDP Growth Forecast To 4.8%

The Gulf state had predicted a GDP growth rate of 4.5 per cent for 2013 in June.

Qatar To Pump 200m Euros A Year Into French Soccer Club, PSG

Qatari fund QSI bought French club Paris Saint-Germain in June 2011.

Luxembourg Buys Back Qatar Airways’ Freight Stake

Luxembourg bought the 35 per cent stake back for the original sale price of $117.5 million.

Qatar’s FIFA Bin Hammam Banned For Life

The former FIFA presidential candidate Mohamed Bin Hammam has also handed in his resignation.

Islamic Bank Of Britain Takeover Deadline Extended

Qatar’s Masraf Al Rayan will have until the new year to decide on a proposed takeover of the lender.

GALLERY: Inside The Fated Boeing Dreamliner 787

Boeing’s Dreamliner 787 promises more efficient fuel technology and cleaner air for passengers.

Qatar Airways Grounds New Boeing Dreamliner

The airline’s chief executive criticises Boeing as electrical faults force new 787 to remain on the tarmac.

Qatar Airways Starts London Dreamliner Flights

Qatar Airways took delivery of the first of 60 Dreamliners last month with the third 787 joining the airline’s fleet a few days ago.

QNB Buys Egypt Arm Of Societe Generale For $2bn

The sale is expected to be completed in the first half of 2013.

Qatar Airways Says Studying Czech Airlines Privatisation

The Czech government said last week it was in early stage talks with Qatar Airways and Korean Air.

Qatar Sees Future Economic Growth At 5%

The Gulf state posted real GDP growth of 14.1 per cent in 2011.

Qatar Telecom Eyes 10-Year Bond Issue

Qtel has mandated six banks to help arrange the potential bond, which is expected to be at least $500 million.

Qatar Receives 4th C-17 Airlifter From Boeing

Qatar’s C-17s supported the NATO-led operation in Libya earlier this year.

Qatar Eyeing Investment In Greek Defence Sector – Greece

Greece’s Hellenic Defense Systems (EAS) and Hellenic Vehicle Industry (ELVO) are among assets earmarked for privatisation.

GCC To Host First World Luxury Expo

Steinway Piano Gallery will be displaying a crystallised 1/6 scale model grand piano worth AED12 million for the first time

David Beckham In Possible Middle East Move

The ex-Manchester United player has attracted the interest of Qatar and UAE-based teams.

Qtel Picks JP Morgan To Direct Maroc Telecom Bid

Group owner Vivendi is selling 53 per cent of its stake in the Moroccan mobile operator.

Qatar Airways Launches Warsaw Flights

The carrier has started four-times weekly services between Doha and Warsaw.

Qatar Approves Law Establishing Single Regulator

The law provides for an umbrella body to regulate banks, financial services and insurance companies.

Qatar Airways Interested In Czech Airlines

Czech Airlines, a member of the Sky Team alliance, lost $12.10 million last year.

Qatar Reduces NYSE’s Stake In Local Bourse

Qatar Holding now owns 88 per cent of the bourse, with NYSE Euronext holding the remaining 12 per cent.

Qatar Airways Upgrades Airbus A350 Order

Qatar Airways is the launch customer for the future A350.

Qatar To Invest $20bn In Solar Energy Plant

The gas-rich state has so far disappointed environmentalists by failing to reduce emissions.

Qatar’s Window Of Opportunity

Qatar’s billion-dollar infrastructure programme is set to provide investors with unprecedented options — eventually.

Qatar Holding And CDD To Invest In French SMEs

The two have signed a MOU that will pool $389 million of investment capital.

Qatar Permits Rare Protest For Workers’ Rights

Around 300 activists marched in Doha calling for climate change action.