Photo used for illustrative purposes only
Saudi air defence forces intercepted two ballistic missiles fired from Yemen towards the southern city of Najran on Sunday evening, according to Saudi Press Agency.
Coalition spokesperson colonel Turki Al-Maliki said the attack by Yemen’s Houthis took place at 8:47pm.
Missile fragments landed on residential areas but there were no injuries or damage reported, he added.
Al-Maliki repeated previous statements saying the missiles deliberately targeted civilian and populated areas and were likely provided by Iran in violation of United Nations resolutions and international law.
Yemen’s Houthis have increased the frequency of their missile attacks on Saudi cities in recent months.
On April 28, Saudi air defences intercepted five missiles fired from Yemen following a coalition air strike reportedly targeting Houthi leaders at Interior Ministry in Sanaa.
The previous Monday, two missiles were fired at facilities of oil giant Saudi Aramco following another attack on Najran the day before.
The kingdom suffered its first casualty from a missile attack in March when an Egyptian resident of Riyadh was hit by debris from three missiles targeting the capital as part of a wider attack also aimed at Najran, Jizan and Khamis Mushait.
Saudi Arabia and Arab partners including the UAE entered Yemen’s civil war in 2015 to restore the internationally recognised government of President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi after the Houthi movement seized large areas of the country including the capital Sana’a.
The Saudi coalition said last month that 119 rockets and 6,6259 projectiles had been fired across the border into the kingdom as of April 16.