1.Union Co-opTotal = Dhs115.60 Branches in the UAE: 10
With the price of rent, taxis and services fluctuating dramatically along with the country’s economic fortunes, the UAE’s cost of living is often a matter of daily discussion.
The government keeps a tight lid on the prices of many day-to-day items, but food prices can still vary significantly across different supermarkets, according to a survey by Good magazine.
The newly launched magazine, which lists the best deals, offers and tips for the UAE community, purchased a shopping list at stores across the UAE and compared total receipts for the following items:
– Milk – low-fat Almarai (one litre)
– Bread – sliced white from Modern Bakery (medium)
– Butter – Lurpak Spreadable Lighter Slightly Salted (250g)
– Cheese – packet of unsliced Bega Extra Tasty
– Eggs – half a dozen DHA Omega-3 Eggs
– Plain yoghurt – Al Ain Low Fat (400g)
– Tea – box of Lipton Yellow Label (50 bags)
– Pasta – Barilla Penne (500g)
– Water – six 1.5L bottles of Masafi
– Orange juice – Al Rawabi (500ml)
– Sugar – Tate & Lyle Granulated (500g)
– Toothpaste – Colgate Total (125ml)
– Toilet roll – four-pack of Kleenex
– Washing powder – Persil Green (1.5kg).
*Where products were unavailable, the lowest priced equivalent was purchased.