Indian expats who require passport services in the UAE will now need to mandatorily complete their applications online before visiting the processing centres.
BLS International will continue to handle all the processing of Indian passport and visa applications on behalf of the Indian consulate and embassy in the UAE.
The BLS centres will provide the online form-filling service for applicants if they are unable to do it by themselves for any reason.
The new rule came into effect in Dubai and the northern emirates on April 4, according to a statement on website of the Indian Consulate in Dubai.
The change is part of the Indian government’s Passport Seva project, which seeks to enable faster delivery of passport services to applicants in India and abroad.
About 1.3 million Indians reside in Dubai and the northern emirates alone, and the consulate issued over 200,000 passports last year.
“The new system will help in easy and convenient application submission process, will usher in standardisation, digital overhauling, end-to-end status tracking, enhance security and make passport services more accessible and user friendly,” the statement said.
“It would be a further improvement and streamlining of the passport services rendered to Indian citizens living in Dubai,” it added.
Indian Ambassador to the UAE Navdeep Sing Suri also confirmed to Gulf News that the new rule will enforced at the Indian Embassy in Abu Dhabi from Wednesday, April 10.
New procedure for Indian citizens in the UAE seeking passport services
1. Applicants are required to do one time registration at https://embassy.passportindia.gov.in/ (Passport Seva at Indian Embassies and Consulates) and create a user ID.
2. Login using the newly created user ID and fill in the application form online at the same portal.
3. After submitting the form online, take a print out of the application.
4. Affix photo at the designated place. (Signatures are required to be affixed in front of the submission officer of BLS)
5. Submit the print out along with required documents and prescribed fee at the nearest BLS Centre.