Dubai Police Says Efforts On To Ensure Tight Security For Expo 2020

The mega event is expected to welcome 25 million visitors, with the majority of them coming from overseas.



Dubai Police is currently in discussions to ensure that adequate security measures are in place before the city hosts the World Expo in 2020.

The police and a delegation from the World Expo Dubai 2020 held a meeting on Saturday to decide on preparations for mega event, official news agency WAM reported.

Brigadier Abdullah Ali Ghaithi, director, General Administration of security bodies, enterprises and emergency, emphasised that the Dubai Police was equipped to secure events regardless of their size and type.

The Dubai Police’s event security committee was “working day and night and was in contact with all Expo teams and other stakeholders to provide all security services to Expo 2020,” WAM quoted him as saying.

The committee was laying down security plans and scenarios for the Expo, which is expected to attract 25 million visitors, including 70 per cent from overseas.

“Dubai’s hosting of this mega event is yet another feather in its cap and we will do whatever in our power to present Dubai in a prestigious look before the world,” Ali Ghaithi said.

Omar Shehadeh, director, International Engagement, Dubai Expo 2020, noted that the event is anticipated to welcome a huge number of visitors and VIPs, which will place a “heavy burden” on the Dubai Police.

He said the meeting was convened to update the event security committee on topics that will ensure highest levels of security during the event.

The UAE, which beat rivals Ekaterinburg, Izmir and Sao Paulo to win the Expo hosting rights in November 2013, will hold the six-month event from October 2020 to April 2021 in Dubai, coinciding with the country’s golden jubilee celebration.

This will be the first time that the World Expo is staged in the Middle East, North Africa and South Asia (MENASA) region.

Preparations have already begun in full scale, and last week, a construction tender was awarded to start work on the site.

A consortium led by US-based CH2M HILL and UK-based Mace is now tasked with building the Dubai Trade Centre Jebel Ali development – the master district that will host Expo 2020 Dubai.

The exhibition site is designed to accommodate up to 300,000 visitors, with average week-day attendance expected at 153,000.