Three civilians killed in missile attack in Saudi’s Jazan

The attack took place on Saturday afternoon



Image for illustrative purposes

Three civilians have been killed in Saudi’s Jazan governorate in a missile attack by Yemen’s Houthi militants, Saudi officials announced on Saturday.

The official spokesman of the Saudi-led Coalition Colonel Turki Al Malki confirmed that attack took place at 2.55pm on Saturday, the official Saudi Press Agency (SPA) reported.

“The projectile was launched deliberately to target civilians. These senseless actions of the terrorist Iranian-Houthi militia fall under hostile acts against civilians,” Al Malki said.

“The Joint Forces Command of the Coalition will strike with an iron fist all those who threaten the safety and security of Saudi nationals, residents and critical capabilities,” he added.

The latest attack comes after the Coalition’s fighter jets bombarded positions of Houthi militias east of Hais, north of Zubaid, west of Bait Al Faqih and Al Hosaynia areas on Yemen’s Red Sea Coast on Saturday, the UAE’s official news agency WAM reported.

According to field sources, the Joint Yemeni Resistance Forces also “foiled an infiltration attempt by Houthis west of Bait Al Faqih toward Al Jah area”, the report stated.

The report added that 43 Houthis were killed in raids by Arab Coalition jets and in clashes with Joint Yemeni Resistance Forces across Hodeidah battlefronts.

The Yemeni Resistance have also secured the coastline from Al Khokha up to Al Dorihmi area, south of Hodeidah, in the build-up to retake the Houthi-held port city.

Saudi Arabia has been the target of more than 120 ballistic missile attacks since entering the Yemen civil war in 2015 as part of the coalition.

Last week, Saudi air defences intercepted a ballistic missile fired from Yemen towards the Red Sea coastal city of Yanbu.

It was targeting civilians, Al Malki said at the time.

Read more: Saudi intercepts missile fired towards Yanbu

In March, an Egyptian resident of Riyadh was killed after he was hit by debris from three missiles targeting the capital as part of a wider attack also aimed at Najran, Jizan and Khamis Mushait.

Read: UN Security Council condemns Houthi missile attacks on Saudi Arabia

Also read: Saudi intercepts missile fired towards Jizan

Last month, the US Treasury placed five Iranians on its sanctions list for providing ballistic missile expertise to the Houthis.

Read: US sanctions five Iranians for providing Yemen’s Houthis with missile expertise