Saudi reports latest missile attack from Yemen

An Indian resident was injured by the fragments of a missile on Saturday



Photo used for illustrative purposes only

Saudi Arabia has reported the latest in a surge in missile attacks from neighbouring Yemen targeting its population centres.

A spokesperson for the Saudi coalition in Yemen, colonel Turki Al-Maliki, said the missile was fired by Houthi militias at 5:26pm on Monday towards Dharan in the south of the kingdom.

However, it fell short of its target and crashed in Yemeni territory 1.75km from Saudi Arabia’s southern border.

Al-Maliki repeated previous statements drawing links between the attack and the Iranian regime, which Saudi Arabia and its Western allies say is supplying the Houthis with missile components.

He said the firing of the missile at population centres was in contrary to international law.

Saudi Arabia’s air defence forces have intercepted dozens of missiles fired across the border since the country entered the Yemen civil war on the side of the internationally recognised government of President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi in March 2015.

On Saturday, the kingdom reported that fragments of a missile that was intercepted after being fired towards Najran city injured an Indian resident.

Read: Indian resident injured by missile attack in Saudi

Another missile was intercepted after being fired towards the southern city of Jazan on Thursday and on Sunday last week the kingdom suffered its first casualty from an attack after missile fragments killed an Egyptian resident.

Two others were injured by debris in the mass attack, which involved the firing of seven missiles in total towards Riyadh, Najran, Jizan and Khamis Mushait.

Read: World leaders condemn missile attack on Saudi

The United Nations condemned the attacks on Wednesday, amid concerns that an arms embargo on the Houthi leaders had been breached.

Read: UN Security Council condemns Houthi missile attacks on Saudi Arabia