Image for illustrative purposes
Saudi air defence forces have intercepted yet another missile that was fired from Yemen towards the city of Jazan, the Saudi Press Agency (SPA) reported.
The missile was spotted on Friday evening at 7.17pm, confirmed Colonel Turki al-Maliki, the spokesperson of the Saudi-led coalition fighting in Yemen.
“The air defense forces of the alliance spotted the launch of a ballistic missile by the Iran-backed Houthi militia within the territory of Yemen from Imran, towards the territory of Saudi Arabia,” he said.
The missile, headed towards Jazan, was “deliberately launched to target civilian and populated areas”, but the Saudi Royal Air Defense forces intercepted and destroyed it, he added.
No casualties were reported.
“This hostile act by the Houthi terrorist militia proves that the Iranian regime continued involvement in supporting the Houthi militia with qualitative capabilities in clear and explicit defiance of UN resolution 2216 and resolution 2231,” Al-Malki stated.
He added that the firing of ballistic missiles at populated cities and villages is contrary to both international law and international humanitarian law.
Saudi Arabia has been repeatedly targeted by missiles since 2015, when it entered Yemen’s civil war through an Arab coalition backing forces loyal to ousted President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi against the Houthis.
While the majority of the attacks have been intercepted by air defences, a missile that struck Jazan last week left a five year old boy injured.
Some attacks have also resulted in deaths, including three civilians killed in Jazan on June 9.
The latest attack coincides with an offensive by the Saudi-led coalition in Yemen’s main port city, Hodeidah.
Coalition member the United Arab Emirates has said it is willing to stop the assault if the Houthis leave the city.