Oman Air cancels September launch of Najaf route

Route launch pushed back due to safety concerns



Oman Air has has cancelled the September launch of its planned service between Muscat and the Iraqi city of Najaf citing safety concerns.

The Gulf carrier was due to launch the route on September 15, but in a statement posted on Twitter said all flights between the two cities had been cancelled until October 1.

“A decision as to wether flights will take place after 1st October will be taken later this month and an announcement made in due course,” the airline said.

It added that the decision was made to ensure the safety and wellbeing of all its customers and staff.

Oman Air said tickets already bought for the route would be refunded or exchanged at the point of purchase.

Najaf is a religious tourism destination about 160km south of Baghdad.

It houses what is claimed to be the world’s largest cemetery, Wadi al-Salam, where burials are said to have increased to 150-200 a day following ISIL’s capturing of large swathes of the country in 2014.

Last month Oman Air signed a codeshare deal with Saudia for certain routes between the two countries.

Read: Oman Air pens codeshare deal with Saudia

The airline is also undergoing a restructuring, including the creation of subsidiaries and ventures to handle some businesses.

Read: Government approves restructuring of Oman Air

Comments

comments