Kuwait committee bans 47 candidates from parliamentary elections

The majority were barred due to existing court convictions



Image for illustrative purposes only

A legal committee reviewing applications for Kuwait’s upcoming parliamentary elections has reportedly barred 47 candidates from the race.

Kuwait Times reports that a number of candidates informed of the decision have vowed to challenge it in the administrative court.

Those on the list include former opposition MPs Bader Al-Dahoum and Safa Al-Hashem, the only member of the ruling family to contest, Sheikh Malek Al-Humoud Al-Sabah and controversial former MP Abdulhameed Dashti, who has been sentenced to 31 years and six months in jail, the publication said.

Al Dahoum said on Twitter he planned to challenge the ruling after being barred for a minor reason.

Al Hashem, who resigned from the previous assembly a year ago, was told in a letter she could not run due to a court verdict against her for the slander of former Islamist opposition MP Mubarak Al-Duwailah.

She said she would also contest the ban.

Controversial MP Dashti has been living outside the country since March but obtained a court order allowing his son to submit his nomination papers on his behalf.

The government has appealed against the order and the appeals court is expected to issue a verdict next Tuesday.

He was sentenced to 14 years in prison for defaming Saudi Arabia and Bahrain in July.

Of those banned, 31 were for court convictions and 16 did not complete required procedures.

All can challenge the decision in court.

So far, 454 candidates have filed applications to run in the 50-seat National Assembly elections scheduled for November 26.

The previous parliament was dissolved over disputes between MPs and the government relating to the decision to reduce subsidies on fuel.

Read: Kuwait to hold parliamentary elections next month